Lebovitz Lively Arts Scholarship
The Lebovitz Lively Arts Scholarship Fund was created to provide college scholarships to one or more Mattoon graduates who major or will major in visual or performing arts.
The scholarship was created by the estate of the late Carl H. Lebovitz. The scholarship was named in honor of Lebovitz and James K. Lively, formerly of Mattoon. Lively worked as a freelance translator of many Slavic languages and was a patron of the arts during all of his adult life. He died in 1998. Lebovitz, also a language translator, was a founding member of the Mattoon Arts Council and a patron of the arts throughout his life. He participated in local theatrical productions over the years, and was the Journal Gazette/Times-Courier's arts reviewer-at-large for 30 years. Lebovitz died in 2009.
Scholarships ranging from $500 to $2,000 each will be awarded for the 2017-2018 school year. Recipients of the scholarship shall be determined by a committee appointed by the Mattoon Arts Council.
- Applicant must be a current graduating senior or former graduate of Mattoon High School, or must reside or formerly resided in the Mattoon school district when earning a high school diploma or equivalent certification.
- Applicant must be majoring in visual or performing arts at a college/university during 2016-2017 academic year. Degree programs included but not limited to are: Apparel/Textiles, Arts Management, Audio Technology, Cinematography/Media Production, Dance, Fine/Studio Arts, Graphic Design, Interior Design, Music, Theatre, and Photography. Please inquire if you have questions about your degree program eligibility.
- Applicant must maintain full-time student status to be eligible for the scholarship.
- Scholarships shall be determined on an annual basis. Previous scholarship recipients are encouraged to reapply and will not be penalized for previous awards received.
- Award recipients will be announced in May.
- Scholarships will be awarded annually as long as there are qualified applicants. If no applicant meets the qualifications of the scholarship, no scholarships will be awarded.
- Scholarships will be awarded to the most qualified applicants without discrimination.
Our News Articles
5/31/2016 10:18:00 AM
The scholarship was named in honor of Carl Lebovitz and James K. Lively, formerly of Mattoon.
6/23/2015 11:32:00 AM
A total of $4,000 was awarded from the Lebovitz Lively Arts Scholarship Fund this year to MHS graduates majoring in visual or performing arts.
7/21/2014 11:36:00 AM
A total of $10,000 was awarded this year to MHS graduates majoring in visual or performing arts from the Lebovitz Lively Arts Scholarship Fund.
7/22/2013 11:38:00 AM
A total of $12,000 was awarded this year to MHS graduates majoring in visual or performing arts from the Lebovitz Lively Arts Scholarship Fund.
2/6/2012 12:10:00 PM
The Mattoon Area Community Foundation recently announced that applications are now available for the Lebovitz Lively Arts Scholarship Fund.
1/15/2010 2:31:00 PM
A permanent endowment fund has been established for graduates of Mattoon High School by the late Carl H. Lebovitz.
About This Fund:
Lebovitz Lively Arts ScholarshipLearn More About This Fund
Contact Southeastern Illinois Community Foundation directly to inquire about Lebovitz Lively Arts Scholarship